Maternity Cases (For Pregnant ladies)
Pre pregnancy (before pregnancy): Counselling, investigation and treatment for healthy baby. In our centre special investigations are advised before conceiving or planning pregnancy. Couple is asked to take special medicines so that baby gets optimum nourishment for all round growth and mental development
Congratulations for having positive B HCG or positive pregnancy test. It means you have conceived and having pregnancy.
Your progress and management of pregnancy will be as follows.
- First Three Months (1st Trimester): 0 to 13 weeks
1. Urine and blood report: If you miss your expected date of menses, you will be advised urine for pregnancy test or B HCG blood report. This will confirm pregnancy. 2. USG (sonography): At 6 to 7 week’s first TV sonography is done to confirm viability of pregnancy and marker of healthy pregnancy. 3. Antenatal profile– blood investigation are suggested : Blood grp, CBC, Urine examination, SGPT, S. Creatinine, blood sugar, thyroid test, blood clotting report and infection profile. Hb electrophoresis is also suggested to rule out thalassemia and sickle cell disease.
In first trimester, folic acid and pyridoxine vitamins are very important. In case of risk of abortion or high risk cases supportive treatment in the form of progesterone tablet and injections will be suggested. Sometime many more medicines are needed which will be decided according to your case requirement.
- Second Three Months (2nd Trimester): 13 Weeks to 28 Weeks:
11 to 14 weeks NT scan (see sonography segment): Very important scan. To rule out anomalies and screening USG for down’s syndrome.
Anomaly and 3 D 4 D scan (see sonography segment): Another important USG to rule out morphological abnormality of foetus. In this sonography brain, heart, lungs, limbs, kidneys and GU system, stomach and GI system, spine and many more organs are examined in detail.
Double marker done at 11 to 14 weeks and triple marker are done between 16 to 18 weeks. Chorion biopsy and Amniocentesis: Advised in a specific cases.
- Medicines advised:
- Iron and folic acid for increasing and maintaining haemoglobin level and general health of mother and baby
- Calcium supplementation is especially important for better growth of foetal bone and avoiding backache problems to mother
- Protein powder with DHA: for maintaining muscle mass and for avoiding unnecessary fat deposition, DHA is considered good for better brain development of foetus.
- Tight cloths,
- Frequent and deep intercourse,
- Outside food and too much junk food,
- Long distance travelling, two wheeler driving after 20 weeks, four wheeler driving after 28 weeks. Avoid travelling to unsafe areas and roads.
- Avoid eating too much at single sitting, avoid fasting.
- Small to medium size Frequent meal (6 to 8 times), Keep chocolates & cookies with you as during pregnancy metabolism is faster and you may feel giddiness and fainting sometime,
- light slow walking,
- drink adequate water,
- keep your house and room clean, keep mosquitos away
- Last Three Months (3rd Trimester): 29 Weeks to 40 Weeks:
Investigations advised: 1. Blood sugar, TSH, CBC (antenatal profile)
- Growth USG to know growth and weight of baby ( See sonography section)
- Color Doppler USG to know weight, position and presentation, amount of liquor (fluid), oxygen supply to baby
- Medicines advised: Same medicine as in second trimester, there can be some changes according to requirement of your case
For simple problems can I take OTC tablets
What to do if I have fever or headache or body ache: you can take paracetamol one to three times;( metacin / calpol / stopache) before you can consult doctor. Don’t stretch your problem too much and contact doctor as early as possible. What to do if I have excessive sneezing and common cold: you can take anti allergic tablet i.e Avil or cetirizine (L -dio-1) and then consult doctor.
What is premature delivery or premature labour pains?
Delivery if occurs after 24 weeks of pregnancy and before 38 weeks is called premature delivery. If it occurs between 24 to 28 weeks it is too risky. Chances of premature delivery is higher in case of incompetent os (cervical length less than 30 mm). If premature delivery for any reason happens in third trimester chances of survival of baby is good. But all possible efforts has to be made to avoid premature delivery ( tocolytics medicine). All possible measures are taken to enhance maturity ( Inj betenesol and Inj magsulf) of baby so it becomes easy for neonatologist to treat the child. If premature delivery occurs baby needs to be admitted in the NICU. Number of days are decided according to weight and maturity of baby.
When will baby move or when will be baby’s movement felt for the first time?
Baby’s movement is felt by 22 weeks +/-2 weeks (completion of 5 months or beginning of 6 month) to most of the mother. If it doesn’t then most common cause is wrong date.
Weight and Length of my child?
|Month Of Pregnancy||Week of Pregnancy||General Term Size||Size in mm/Cm||Weight in Gm/Kg|
|3 & 4||Poppyseed|
|1 month||5||Appleseed||3 mm|
|8||Raspberry||16 mm||1.5 gm|
|2 month||9||Green Olive||22 mm||2 gm|
|10||Prune||3 cm||4 gm|
|11||Lime||4 cm||7 gm|
|12||Plum||5.5 cm||14 gm|
|3 month||13||Peach||7.5 cm||23 gm|
|14||Lemon||8.5 cm||42.5 gm|
|15||Navel Orange||10 cm||70 gm|
|16||Avacado||11.5 cm||100 gm|
|4 month||17||Onion||13 cm||170 gm|
|18||Sweet Potato||14 cm||190 gm|
|19||Mango||15 cm||240 gm|
|20||Banana||17 cm||300 gm|
|5 month||21 to 24||Papaya||26 to 34 cm||360 gm|
|6 month||25 to 28||Cauliflower||34 to 38 cm||680 gm to 1 kg|
|7 month||29 to 31||Pineapple||38 to 42 cm||1.1 to 1.8 kg|
|8 month||32 to 36||Coconut||43 to 48 cm||1.9 to 2.7 kg|
|9 month||37 to 40||Watermelon||48 to 55 cm||2.8 to 4 kg|
Your baby’s special activity, week-by-week
Weeks 3 & 4: Poppy seed
Right now your little zygote is settling into your uterus…
Week 5: Appleseed
Average size: 0.13 inches** Baby’s major organs and systems are now forming…
Week 6: Sweet Pea
Average size: 0.25 inches Blood is starting to circulate…
Week 7: Blueberry
Average size: 0.51 inches Baby’s brain is growing fast..
Week 8: Raspberry
Average size: 0.63 inches, .04 oz. Those little arms and little legs are moving like crazy…
Week 9: Green Olive
Average size: 0.9 inches, .07 oz. A Doppler device might pick up a heartbeat this week…
Week 10: Prune
Average size: 1.2 inches, .14 oz. Baby’s arm joints are working, and soon the legs will too…
Week 11: Lime
Average size: 1.6 inches, .25 oz. Fingers and toes are no longer webbed…
Week 12: Plum
Average size: 2.1 inches, .49 oz. Almost all vital systems are fully formed…
Week 13: Peach
Average size: 2.9 inches, .81 oz. Teeth and vocal cords are appearing…
Week 14: Lemon
Average size: 3.4 inches, 1.5 oz. Liver, kidney, and spleen are continuing to develop…
Week 15: Navel Orange
Average size: 4 inches, 2.5 oz.Legs are finally longer than arms
Week 16: Avocado
Average size: 4.6 inches, 3.5 oz. Eyebrows, lashes, and hair are filling in…
Week 17: Onion
Average size: 5.1 inches, 5.9 oz. Skeleton is hardening, and fat is accumulating…
Week 18: Sweet Potato
Average size: 5.6 inches, 6.7 oz. Baby’s moving like crazy — feel anything yet?
Week 19: Mango
Average size: 6.0 inches, 8.5 oz. Vermix caseosa is coating baby’s skin…
Week 20: Banana
Average size: 6.5 inches, 10.6 oz. Boy or girl, genitals are fully formed…
Week 21: Pomegranate
Average size: 10.5 inches ***, 12.7 oz. Taste buds are starting to work…
Week 22: Papaya
Average size: 10.5 inches ***, 12.7 oz. Baby’s on a sleep cycle — about 12 to 14 hours a day
Week 23: Grapefruit
Average size: 10.5 inches ***, 12.7 oz. Baby’s listening to your voice and heartbeat in there…
Week 24: Canteloupe
Average size: 10.5 inches ***, 12.7 oz. Nipples are sprouting, and face is fully formed!
Week 25: Cauliflower
Average size: 13.6-14.8 inches, 1.5-2.2 lb. Baby knows which way is up and which is down now…
Week 26: Lettuce
Average size: 13.6-14.8 inches, 1.5-2.2 lb. Eyes are forming and will soon start to open
Week 27: Rutabaga
Average size: 13.6-14.8 inches, 1.5-2.2 lb. Baby’s showing brain activity…
Week 28: Eggplant
Average size: 13.6 -14.8 inches, 1.5-2.2 lb. Immune system is preparing for the outside world…
Week 29: Acorn Squash
Average size: 15.2-16.7 inches, 2.5-3.8 lb. Baby’s hiccupping in there…
Week 30: Cucumber
Average size: 15.2 -16.7 inches, 2.5-3.8 lb. Baby’s strong enough to grasp a finger now.
Week 31: Pineapple
Average size: 15.2-16.7 inches, 2.5-3.8 lb. All five of the senses are working…
Week 32: Squash
Average size: 15.2- 16.7 inches, 2.5-3.8 lb. Sleeping and waking cycles are establishing…
Week 33: Durian Fruit
Average size: 17.2-18.7 inches, 4.2-5.8 lb. Bones are hardening…
Week 34: Butternut Squash
Average size: 17.2-18.7 inches, 4.2-5.8 lb. Baby can recognize and react to simple songs
Week 35: Coconut
Average size: 17.2-18.7 inches, 4.2-5.8 lb. Hearing is fully developed…
Week 36: Honeydew
Average size: 17.2-18.7 inches, 4.2-5.8 lb. Hearing is fully developed…
Week 37: Winter melon
Average size: 18.9-20.9 inches, 6.2-9.2 lb. Baby’s inhaling, exhaling, sucking, gripping and blinking.
Week 38: Pumpkin
Average size: 18.9-20.9 inches, 6.2-9.2 lb. Baby might have an inch or so of hair already.
Week 39: Watermelon
Average size: 18.9-20.9 inches, 6.2-9.2 lb. Baby’s flexing his limbs in there.
Week 40: Jackfruit
Average size: 18.9-20.9 inches, 6.2-9.2 lb. Full term! Baby’s finally ready for the outside world…
Normal delivery (vaginal delivery)
- Ultramodern delivery room with climate control, central oxygen supply, fetal monitor.
- Baby’s incubator and warmer.
- Baby’s embrace warmer.
- Baby’s regular warmer.
- Facility for painless labour with epidural analgesia with expert anaesthetist.
- Programmed labour with combination of different medicine developed by great Dr. Shirish Daftary (Ex dean Wadia hospital and FOGSI President).
- Expertise vacuum delivery and forceps delivery.
Caesarean delivery (abdominal delivery)
- State of art operation theatre, husband is allowed inside if he wants to remain present.
- Stitch less and scar less incision(almost scar free and sub cuticular stitches).
- Expert anaesthesia and team of anaesthetist.
- Team neonatologist available.
- Fastest recovery.